Do you struggle with an overactive bladder? Have you lost bladder control and purged yourself when you didn't want to? Do you have pain in your pelvis, vagina, uterus, or bladder? If anyone is experiencing these signs, they may be undergoing urogynecology. Well, these symptoms are treatable when you reach the urogynecologist. Treating this condition as soon as possible can improve your quality of life.

What is Urogynecology?

Urogynecology is a subspecialty of gynaecology. Female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery are other names for it in various countries. A urogynecologist treats clinical issues such as bladder and pelvic floor dysfunction. Gynaecologists and urogynecologists specialise in treating and diagnosing women with pelvic floor issues. If you suffer from pelvic organ issues such as overactive bladder, uterine prolapse, bowel incontinence, urine incontinence, or other pelvic issues, you may find relief by consulting a urogynecologist.

Symptoms that suggest a need for Urogynecology

Most women don't have any symptoms of pelvic floor problems. Well, sometimes you might develop certain symptoms of urogynecology. If you experience any of the symptoms listed below, do not be afraid to contact your doctor.

  • A bulge is visible in your vagina.
  • Sometimes, you may feel heaviness, pulling, fullness, and aching in the vagina.
  • feeling pain during bowel movements
  • Feeling tough while peeing or emptying the bladder
  • Urinary leakage during a laugh, sneezing, and severe cough
  • feeling of peeing frequently

When should I consult the doctor?

On your initial appointment with a urogynecologist, the doctor will inquire about your experiences. A clinical test will also be performed according to the severity of the condition. Physical examinations will assist the urogynecologist in better understanding your situation. They will also provide you with the finest treatment choices.

Let's say you have problems with your pelvic organs like uterine prolapse, overactive bladder, bowel incontinence, urine incontinence, or other painful pelvic problems. In that case, you may find relief by consulting a pelvic organ specialist.

The procedure urogynecologists follow

There is no excuse for you to suffer in silence with a pelvic or bladder illness. Little lifestyle modifications, surgery, or medication can help urogynecologists diagnose and cure the problems. The urogynecology process also involves the following steps:

  • The Burch procedure
  • Culdeplasty
  • Repair of cystocele and rectocele
  • Marsupialization or removal of Bartholin's Gland
  • Repair of the vaginal wall
  • Posterior restoration
  • Obturator tape (trans-obturator) (TOT)
  • Vaginal tape
  • Colpocleisis

Treatment options

The patient's condition largely determines therapy options. Doctors make their decisions after conducting many physical examinations. A urogynecologist can provide the following treatment options:

  • Evaluation and diagnosis
  • Behavioural Therapy Surgery

You must consult a urogynecologist as soon as you notice symptoms. Don't be hesitant about dealing with incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.

Your urogynecologist will collaborate with you to develop a treatment plan based on your symptoms and condition. Non-surgical and surgical procedures may be included.

Non-Surgical Therapy

Non-surgical therapies that your urogynecologist may prescribe include any of the following:

  • Kegel exercises, commonly known as pelvic floor muscle strengthening exercises,
  • A pelvic floor physical therapist is recommended.
  • Injections used to treat bladder control issues (bladder Botox)
  • Medication
  • The vaginal pessary

Surgical Intervention

If your doctor advises surgery, it might include any of the following:

  • Increasing pelvic floor support
  • Resolving any prolapses
  • The uterus may be removed (hysterectomy).
  • Mid-urethral urinary leak mesh sling
  • Anal or sphincter muscle damage heals


Urogynecology is a specialised field of gynaecology that deals with diagnosing and treating pelvic floor dysfunction and related clinical issues. It is important to see a urogynecologist if you have symptoms like urine leakage, pain in the pelvis, trouble controlling your bladder, or other painful pelvic problems. Prompt diagnosis and treatment can significantly improve your quality of life. Treatment options include non-surgical and surgical interventions tailored to the individual patient's condition and symptoms. Remember that seeking medical help for urogynecological issues is nothing to be ashamed of, and with proper care, you can regain control of your life and your health.

Request an appointment at Apollo Cradle, Bengaluru - Jayanagar. Call 1860-500-1066 to book an appointment.

1. What are the surgeries the urogynecologist suggests?

The urogynecologist suggests surgeries that include vaginal wall repair, bladder installations, uterus removal, and bladder control surgery.

2. What should I expect from the doctor?

When you reach the doctor, they will review your medical history and discuss your symptoms. They will ask you a few questions regarding your health, and once they are done with your diagnosis, they will move on to the next procedure.

3. Who are urogynecologists?

Urogynecologists or orurogyns specialise in treating and diagnosing women with pelvic floor issues. They finish medical school programmes in urology, gynaecology, or obstetrics. Urogynecologists have particular training and competence in treating female pelvic organ diseases. Not all urogynecologists have completed a formal fellowship programme. It mostly treats non-cancerous illnesses, both surgically and non-surgically. Urogynecologists commonly treat the following issues: ? The uterus prolapsed. ? Incontinence or leaking of the bladder ? overactivity

4. What do urogynecologists do?

Urogynecologists examine the female pelvic organs: the pelvic floor, rectum, bladder, uterus, vaginal muscles, ligaments, and nerves.

Our Doctors

Book an Appointment




Pregnancy Calculator