High Risk Pregnancy Factors & Solutions Overview
Ensuring that your pregnancy completes a full-term, and you deliver a healthy baby, is the cornerstone of our aim at Apollo Cradle. High risk pregnancy cases, which can cause complications during pregnancy, or during childbirth, require a very different kind of care, which our specialists are trained to diagnose and treat.
A critical part of managing high-risk pregnancies can ascertain the cause, or the risk factors that can cause complication. High-risk pregnancy factors can broadly be split into four different categories. This include:
- Maternal age
- Lifestyle choices
- Pregnancy conditions
- Medical history
High risk pregnancies can be diagnosed in a number of ways by a medical practitioner. The below tests will help in the identification of high risk pregnancy, and will be prescribed by your doctor depending on your condition or symptoms.
- Ultrasounds – A number of ultrasounds are used for high risk pregnancy diagnosis. These include targeted ultrasounds, which can construct an image of your child in the womb, and target a suspected issue, like an abnormal fetal development.
- Blood Testing – A routine blood test may also be diagnosed, as it can indicate that you have an underlying condition, such as gestational hypertension. This can place you and your child at risk, and will require prenatal monitoring and treatment.
- Urinalysis – Conditions like preeclampsia can be diagnosed through this test, as it can detect excess protein in the u
When you learn that you are pregnant, consult your doctor about the possibility of a high-risk pregnancy. Openly discuss any pre-existing medical conditions, how they can be managed and the possible consequences on the same on labour and delivery. Our expert team at Apollo Cradle has laid out some of the signs and symptoms of high-risk pregnancy to look out for.
If you experience any of the following signs of high-risk pregnancy, it is essential to get immediate medical attention:
- You lose consciousness – It wouldn’t be possible for you to take any action in this situation. Brief your partner, neighbour or colleague in advance of what to do in such a situation
- You experience vaginal bleeding
- You experience unbearable pain in your pelvis or belly
- You have fluid leaking from your vagina – This could be because the umbilical cord is bulging into your vagina. Call for emergency help immediately. Meanwhile, get down on your knees so that your rear end (buttocks) is higher than your head. This will help reduce the pressure on the cord until help arrives.
If you are planning to get pregnant, it is natural that you would want to take every measure possible to prevent a high-risk pregnancy. At Apollo Cradle, we constantly emphasise that by practicing healthy behaviour and undertaking tests early, you can minimize the chance of a high-risk pregnancy.
A high-risk pregnancy occurs due to one or more of the following reasons:
- A pre-existing medical condition in the mother such as diabetes or hypertension
- A pregnancy-related problems that lead to complications such as premature labour
- Age of the expecting mother, and,
- Lifestyle disorders
Depending on the risk factors that you are diagnosed with, high-risk pregnancy treatment will be prescribed. At Apollo Cradle, we are well-equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure and a highly skilled and experienced team of professionals to give you the best possible care for every type of high-risk pregnancy situation.
Listed below are some common methods of treatment of high-risk pregnancies:
- Gestational Diabetes – This condition can increase the risk of complications in pregnancy. However, you can have a healthy pregnancy and birth by following a diet and treatment plan prescribed by a doctor.
- High blood pressure – During pregnancy, some changes to blood pressure medication may be recommended. Lifestyle changes such as limiting salt intake and regular exercise may also be prescribed for the treatment of this condition.
- Pre-eclampsia – If you are experiencing mild symptoms, bed rest may be prescribed. You may also be asked to take vitamins E and C. Generally, this condition ends post-delivery.
A high-risk pregnancy is that in which some condition puts the mother, the fetus or both at an increased risk for complications during or after pregnancy and birth.
The MFM specialist’s at Apollo Cradle undergoes advanced training, mastery of complex technology and knowledge of the latest MFM medical advances makes him/her the best person to consult during a high-risk pregnancy.
First trimester screening helps identify pregnancies at higher risk for having a baby with a chromosomal problem. For this screening you are referred at 11-14 weeks of pregnancy for an ultrasound. This measurement, along with mother’s age-related risk for a chromosomal problem, is combined with the measurements of proteins tested in the mother’s blood (by fingerstick), to give an adjusted risk for having a baby with a problem such as Down syndrome.
Quad screen (done at 15-20 weeks of pregnancy), is same as first trimester screening but provides information earlier. The first trimester screen can identify up to 90 percent of Down syndrome pregnancies. Results are available in two to four days.
Many pregnancies which have extra or less chromosomes miscarry, but some may survive through the pregnancy, particularly those involving an extra chromosome 21 (Down syndrome) or extra chromosomes 13 or 18 (Trisomy 13 or Trisomy 18).
Pregnancy risks are higher for mothers older than age 35.
These are the conditions that require medical attention when you are pregnant:
- Vaginal bleeding
- Severe headaches
- Pain or cramping in the lower abdomen
- Watery vaginal discharge — in a gush or a trickle
- Regular or frequent contractions — a tightening sensation in the abdomen
- Decreased fetal activity
- Pain or burning with urination
- Changes in vision, including blurred vision
Preconception genetic screening can be used to assess your and your partner’s risk of being a carrier.
10,000+ years of cumulative experience
BSC FOOD SCIENCE & QUALITY CONTROL,PG DIPLOMA IN DIETETICS,MSC IN DIETETICS & FOOD SERVICE MANAGEMENT
MBBS,MD OBG,FELLOW IN REPRODUCTIVE MEDICINE,ULTRASONALOGIST &FERTILITY SPECIALIST
MBBS, DGO, MD(OBG), Fellowship Of Indian College of Obstetrics & Gynecology (FOGSI), PGDMLS & Laproscopic Surgeon
MBBS, DGO Diploma in Infertility, Laproscopic Surgeon, Fellowship in Ultrasound
MBBS, MS - Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Fellowship in Reproductive Medicine,Infertility Specialist
Why Apollo Cradle
High risk pregnancies need expert hands. We at Apollo Cradle has all the skillful expertise to always care you and your little one. In high risk pregnancy there is increased risk of health crisis for you and your baby. To detect the problems and manage them in advance, Apollo Cradle experts are more watchful than usual when your pregnancy is at risk.
Apollo Cradle’s expertise is always helpful in giving the special care and attention for a high risk pregnancy in the following ways:
- Usage of advanced imaging techniques for diagnosing the medical abnormalities in the unborn babies, detailed image study of the fetus is obtained for accurate diagnosis and planning the appropriate treatment strategies.
- Treating the fetus during pregnancy, and ensuring the positive long-term outcomes for the unborn, creating a personalized care plan before and after the delivery and the newborn period
- Offering patient education on high-risk deliveries and postnatal care, as a course of prenatal service, the expert team prepares you for the next steps of the pregnancy, by supporting and minimizing the stress in the mother and the family members.