How is infertility diagnosed?
At Apollo Fertility the fertility expert performs preliminary assessments and recommends specific diagnostic tests. These tests help the expert to determine the problem. The tests may vary for men and women.
Infertility tests for men:
Here at Apollo Fertility, the fertility expert asks about your medical history, medications used and about sexual habits and later carries out a physical examination. During the physical examination, the testicles are checked for the presence of any masses. Also, the shape and structure of the penis is examined to rule out any abnormalities.
Other tests include:
- Blood test: A blood sample is collected and is tested for the levels of testosterone and other hormones.
- Semen ejaculation: A sample of semen is tested for concentration, motility, color, quality of sperm, and presence of any blood and infections. Your doctor may ask for several samples of semen as the sperm count often fluctuate.
- Ultrasound test: This test determines any issues such as ejaculatory duct obstruction or retrograde ejaculation.
- Testicular biopsy: A testicular biopsy is performed to evaluate the cause of infertility in men. This test is reserved if the semen does not contain sperm, or if the hormones are found to be in normal range.
Infertility tests for women:
The fertility expert performs a general physical examination and asks about your medical history, medications used, menstrual cycle, and sexual habits.
Our expert team at Apollo Fertility also performs some advanced diagnostic procedures and gynaecologic examination to determine the problem causing infertility.
- Blood test: A blood sample is assessed for the levels of hormones and if also helps in evaluating the ovulation.
- Hysterosalpingography: This procedure is carried out by injecting a fluid into the uterus followed by capturing X-rays. It allows your fertility expert understand if there are any blockages in your fallopian tubes.
- Laparoscopy: The procedure is performed by inserting a thin, flexible tube with a tiny camera into the abdomen and pelvis, which allows the expert to examine the fallopian tubes, uterus, and ovaries. This helps the fertility expert determine the presence of blockages, scarring, and any abnormalities.
- Transvaginal ultrasound: This procedure helps your fertility expert in evaluating the structure of your uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubes. Transvaginal ultrasound also detects the presence of ovarian cysts, polyps, and fibroids in the uterus. It is also considered as an important tool for assessing the relative number of available eggs, which is referred to as antral follicle count that is essential for understanding the potential fertility.
Other tests include:
- Ovarian reserve testing: This test helps in determining the effectiveness of the eggs after the ovulation.
- Genetic testing: This test helps the fertility expert in understanding if the genetic abnormality is the cause of infertility.
- Chlamydia test: Sometimes infections may also stop you from getting pregnant, this test indicates if there is any infection.
- Thyroid function test: Improper thyroid functioning would imbalance the hormones. Therefore a thyroid function test is also valuable.
What are the treatment options for infertility?
Apollo Fertility provides you a superior quality of advanced treatment options those ensure you successful motherhood. Possibly the type of infertility treatment is based upon the cause of infertility which would include the presence of male infertility, the couple’s infertility treatment history, and many other factors such as maternal age.
After receiving your diagnosis, our panel of fertility experts at Apollo Fertility creates a personalized plan of treatment for you, below are the advanced treatment approaches that are offered at Apollo Fertility-
Ovulation induction: This method involves administration of medications for inducing ovulation by encouraging the eggs to develop in the ovaries and getting released. Also, by increasing the chances of conception through artificial insemination or timed intercourse.
Intrauterine insemination (IUI): This method of fertility treatment enhances the chances of fertilization. The method involves placing sperm inside the uterus for facilitating the fertilization.
In vitro fertilization (IVF): This method is an assisted reproductive technology. The method involves manual combining of sperm and egg sample for promoting fertilization in vitro. The embryo which is formed is then transferred to the mother’s uterus for further development.
Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI): This is a special form of IVF technique which is reserved for the cases that are with severe male-factor infertility. The procedure involves directly injecting the sperm into a mature egg.
Laser-assisted hatching: This method involves the use of high focused infrared laser beams to remove the outer protective layer called zona pellucida for promoting the implantation after the embryo is transferred.
Sperm retrieval: This method is also called sperm extraction or sperm aspiration. It is performed on the men who have no sperm in the semen or has a problem with sperm ejaculation. The sperm is extracted from the other parts of the reproductive tract. The retrieved sperm is then used in processes like IVF or ICSI for a successful pregnancy.
Sperm freezing: This technique is also termed as cryopreservation, it helps in storing and preserving the sperm in the liquid nitrogen at specific temperatures, which are used for future use for fertilizing the egg.
Reproductive surgery: Apollo Fertility has a special team of gynecologists and urologists who are specialized in reproductive surgery and have great expertise in the conservative treatment of reproductive organs in both women and men.
In women the conditions that require reproductive surgery would include:
- Endometriosis: A condition in which the endometrial tissue from the inner lining of the uterus grows abnormally outside the uterine cavity.
- Fibroid tumors: These are the common causes of uterine bleeding and recurrent miscarriages.
Some of the other conditions that may need reproductive surgery are:
- Pelvic Adhesions
- Ovarian cysts
- Congenital structural abnormalities
- Acquired uterine abnormalities
The infertility surgical procedures for women:
- Tubal fertility surgery
The infertility surgical procedure for men:
- Testicular biopsy
- Testicular sperm aspiration (TESA)
- Percutaneous sperm aspiration (PESA)
- Vasectomy reversal
Donor program: For some couples, the only scope for getting pregnant can be by using donated eggs, sperm or embryo. Apollo Fertility offers egg, sperm, and embryo donation programs and the experienced team of experts guide the donors and recipients throughout this program.
Advanced treatment methods that are offered at Apollo Fertility include:
Endometrial receptivity analysis (ERA): This test is performed to determine the optimal window for implantation. This method of genetic testing evaluates the gene expression and finds out if the endometrial lining is well-developed to accept an embryo for successful implantation.
PGS or PGD screening: Preimplantation genetic screening, is a test performed on the embryos produced through methods such as IVF. PGS helps in determining the genetic health of the embryo that helps the fertility experts for choosing the best embryo for transferring and improving your chances of getting pregnant.
Preimplantation genetic diagnosis is a technique used before the implantation, it helps in identifying genetic defects within the embryo. PGD serves as a preventive measure that helps the experts understand if there is any chance of passing genetic diseases on to the child.
For all the married couples who experience fertility problems and those planning to have children at an older age, can nowhere step back as there are more options available than ever before. If you are the one having difficulty getting pregnant, then consult the well-qualified fertility specialist available at Apollo Fertility. Here we have fertility specialists who underwent years of advanced training that allows them to deliver the best infertility care possible. We offer the most appropriate fertility tests that help determine the exact cause of your infertility issue and offers you the best course of individualized treatment.