A gynaecologist by profession, Dr. Asmita Potdar, Apollo Cradle, Pune, shares a few tips for pregnant women on how to stay hydrated and relax in this summer heat with Life 365, Pune’s leading English daily.
One can avoid the spell of heat exhaustion with appropriate precautions and care. As the doctor describes the ill effects of the summer heat, she explains how the body of a pregnant woman, takes twice the normal time to cool down. However, the body also needs minimum exposure to sunlight for a balanced amount of Vitamin D to be absorbed by the body.
Tips to stay healthy and hydrated this summer:
- Drink up: The main key is to stay hydrated by drinking a lot of water and fluids.
- Moisturize: As much as the body, your skin needs to stay hydrated too. Pamper your skin by applying cold pressed coconut oil, and always wear sunscreen before stepping out into the sun.
- Relaxation: Give your body a break from the anxiety of pregnancy, and take plenty of rest in a cool and cosy room.
- Frequent showers: Cool down your body temperature by indulging in a couple of showers daily.
- Light clothing: Dress in loose fitting and light clothes to allow some room to breathe.
- Avoid heavy food: Intake of light meals and plenty of fruits and vegetables can maintain the consumption of nutritional food and keep a stable body temperature level.
- Decrease salty foods: Eating a lot of salt can cause water retention in your body that swell up legs of most pregnant women. Reducing the intake of salt can help in avoiding water retention.
- Workout: As pregnant women are advised to exercise, it is recommended they workout either early morning or after sunset to avoid heat exhaustion.
- Cold- compress: Using a cold- compress on your palms and soles, help in cooling down the body temperature.
Follow these simple guidelines to have a hassle free and cool summer, which will keep all mothers to be, new mothers,and their babies,healthy and fit, by keeping away the strain and impact of the summer heat on your body.