10 benefits of Natural Childbirth
Natural childbirth is considered the most preferred type of childbirth since it involves minimal to no medical intervention. Nature knows best where biological processes are involved and medical intervention should only be resorted to in cases when it becomes absolutely necessary. Natural birth is beneficial to both, Mother and child. Here are a few reasons why Mothers should opt for a natural birthing process, unless there’s a very strong reason to choose otherwise:
- Risk is reduced: Avoidance of any surgical procedures or medications help the mother and child by decreasing any kinds of risks in relation with child birth. Medications increase the risk of prolonged labour and may also result in slow development of the baby in the first month.
- Unnecessary disorders: When labour is induced by injections or any other medications, it may lead to autism or other neurological disorders in the baby. These disorders can be avoided by opting natural child birth.
- Lower risk of blood transfusion: Hormones like Oxytocin when released in higher amounts in the body can decrease the risk of pneumonia and blood transfusion. Getting a caesarean section procedure can increase these risks.
- Breast-feeding with ease: Caesarean section is a major surgical process which takes weeks to heal. This may be problematic for the new mother, as she has to adjust the posture in different ways to feed her baby. On the other hand, natural birth helps you to breast feed with ease as you can recover from the process of childbirth faster. The length of hospital stay for women who have cesareans is way longer than those who have a natural delivery.
- Enhances the baby’s brain development: Natural birth helps in increasing the production of proteins in the baby’s brain that helps in brain development and brain function. A caesarean section delivery does not prompt the body to release these proteins and thus the baby loses out on this precious benefit.
- Easier and better recovery: Going the natural way and pushing through the discomfort during labour actually does pay off. Studies have shown that women who have a caesarean section take more time to recover than women who have had a normal delivery. Having a caesarean section is a major surgery which takes time to heal. It takes nearly 50% more recovery time than a normal recovery period.
- Lower risk of respiratory problems: Babies born through a caesarean section miss the hormonal changes which happen during labour. These hormonal changes help in the proper development of lungs, allowing the lungs to function optimally.
- Allows for a normal diet: Research indicates that the lack of nutritional support during labour can cause maternal dehydration, ketosis, hyponatremia and increased maternal stress. Women who give birth naturally at a birthing center or hospital are able to eat and drink freely, which sustains their energy levels during labor.
- Natural childbirth benefits babies in their gut: In the long run, babies born through a caesarean section are more prone to asthma, allergies and infections. Without natural birth the babies miss out on the good bacteria present in the mother’s body. This plays a major role in the immune system of the child. Having a child through natural birth gives the baby a higher chance to combat many health complications and will give them the bacteria they need to fight other diseases.
- Pain relieving hormones: Each hormone plays an important role in keeping the mother and the child safe. There are two pain relieving hormones that are released during childbirth, Oxytocin and Endorphins. These hormones leave the mother energized and happy after the delivery. Oxytocin is often known as the love hormone. It also helps in preventing post pregnancy depression.
In some cases women have to choose to undergo a caesarean section due to complications in the pregnancy. To clarify, there is nothing unsafe about the caesarean process, but natural childbirth has many benefits, in comparison. Going the natural way reduces post delivery problems, induces faster recovery and makes for a stronger, healthier baby. Learn more about natural childbirth through our “Natural is priceless” initiative.